Dear Writers, Enter to win a scholarship to the 43rd Annual Santa Barbara Writers Conference!
Send us your BEST OPENING, up to 50 words — a beginning most likely to compel a reader to turn the page. We will award one full tuition scholarship and two partial scholarships to the authors of the best openings.
Here's how to enter:
- Email all entries to: sbwcBestOpening@gmail.com
- Please include contact information: name, phone number, email address, & mailing address
- Paste your entry and contact information into the body of the email
- Word Count: Up to 50
- All genres welcome
- This must be your original work, published or unpublished
- One winner will receive a full tuition scholarship, and two honorable mentions will receive partial scholarships to the 43rd Annual Santa Barbara Writers Conference, June 7 to 12, 2015**
- No entry fee
- Open: Today!
- Deadline: Tuesday, May 26, at 3 PM (PST)
- Winner Announced: Wednesday, May 27
Please share this opportunity with writers you know.
Write On! SBWC Team
“I think your opening is enormously important. You’ve got to write a first line that will haunt you. It’s got to be magic.” – Dorothy Allison, author of Bastard Out of Carolina, and keynote speaker at SBWC 2012
**In the event that any of the winners cannot attend the 2015 SBWC, June 7 to 12, the scholarship and award will go to the contestant next in line.