Linda Stewart-Oaten writes fiction and nonfiction, which has appeared in Kalliope, Eureka Literary Magazine, Barbaric Yawp, The Sun, The Chattahoochee Review, CollectedStories.com, Prime Number Magazine, Qarrtsiluni Review, Luna Review, Yellow Medicine Review, bosque, Writing Humor: Giving a Comedic Touch to All Forms of Writing, by Ian Bernard, and elsewhere. Several of her stories have been read before live audiences at Santa Barbara’s Speaking of Stories. She’s also written screenplays and short stage plays, two of which have been produced.
- Santa Barbara Arts Fund Individual Artist Award: Fiction
- Chattahoochee Review’s Lamar York Nonfiction Prize for No Mother Wants This (Also designated a notable essay by Best American Essays).
- Santa Barbara Writer’s Conference: 1st Place in the following categories: Humor, Phantastic Fiction, Nonfiction and Fiction.
- Southern California Writer’s Conference, San Diego: Fiction Prize
- Santa Barbara Screenwriters Association: 1st Place for T-Wrecks (screenplay written with Fran Davis), also a Semi-finalist at The New Century Writers Awards Contest.
- Santa Barbara Screenwriters Association: 2nd Place for Clean (screenplay written with Fran Davis), also a Finalist at The New Century Writers Awards Contest.
- Glimmer Train Short Story Contest: Finalist
- Chesterfield Film Company Writer’s Film Project: Finalist
Barbara Kingsolver, Annie Proulx, Luis Alberto Urrea, Lisa See, Alice Munro, TC Boyle, Tim Winton, Ruth Ozeki, Lorrie Moore, Tobias Wolff , Louise Erdrich, John Steinbeck, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens.
Great Books on Writing
- Bird by Bird: Notes on Writing and Life by Anne LaMott
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King
- Making a Literary Life: Advice for Writers and Other Dreamers by Carolyn See
Tips on Writing
Write every day. When you’re ready to share, start or find a group of people whose writing you like. Write down the good comments, otherwise, you’ll only remember the not-so-good comments. Be brave. It’s worth it!
Read (or listen to) one of Linda’s nonfiction pieces here: